I'm old school in that I learned a technological approach to painting. Much of what I see today is based on drawing. More like colored sketches rather than using paint in and of itself.

Not that I think that is bad, I do it myself, and computers have blurred the need for impasto & glazing to achieve an image.

So my question is, have computers & photography pushed emphasis more towards drawing, so the technical aspects of using the medium of paints to achieve a rich surface become irrelevant?

Views: 323

Replies to This Discussion

No.
It's faster and easier to get Photoshop art out there, so that's why there is so much of it around.
Which has nothing to do with the fine art painting surface. Painting is a spiritual practice for an artist. People, viewers, collectors desire a rich surface and continue to view paintings in art galleries and museums. Photoshop art does not effect that level of art viewing.
RELEVANCE????? DOES A LIFETIME TRADGEDY BY DESIGN PROVE ANY DIFFERENT? I KNOW THAT SOME DO AND SOME DON'T, BUT LATELY THE HATRED AND SCORN ARE TOO MUCH TO BEAR, WITH ALL THOSE POSERS OUT THERE, THAT JOIN TOGETHER WITH THE CREME OF THE WEALTHY SOCIETY, THAT WORSHIPS "ONE GOD" AND THAT IS "POWER" AND GOLD. WE ARE BEING LED INTO DESTRUCTION BY "IDIOTS" WHOM CLAIM TO BE "THE WAY" AS THEY RIDE THEIR WHITE HORSE INTO THEIR "WATERLOO".OIL-PAINTERS ARE CAST FROM THE SAME MOLD, JUST LIKE PROCTOLOGISTS AND GYNACOLOGISTS AND BRAIN SURGEONS WORKING OVER-TIME.
Yes Painting is still relevant. I think that when you paint you are making a million decisions based on your intuitive mind. I think this can happen with photography as well as computer generated art to. However painting is perhaps a more direct interface with the subconscious intuitive self rather than the rational cognitive processes of logical thought.

I think technology is just another tool it is impossible to ignore, at this point it seems we do not have a good hold on it out side the realm of advertising but art is always moving forward and that's what it is about.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Brooklyn Art Project.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service